My Avatar
Last Movie Seen
Links
Resources
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Hulk... SMASH hit!!!
THE INCREDIBLE HULK
Edward Norton, Liv Tyler

It looks like it's two-for-two for Marvel Studios... at least I think it is, I guess I'll have to wait and see how it does in the box office. But based on early reviews and the reaction I gathered from the people at the cinema that the guys (plus 1) and I went to, it seems like the first two ventures of Marvel, Iron Man being the first, as the production company of their "product" is a success. I really think that this is the best direction Marvel could've taken. I mean, who better to tell the stories of these superheroes on a large scale than the people who created them? It gives them the freedom to tell it like it is, because that's what the fans have grown to love, but still bring in the big bucks. Take Spider-man 3 for example... sure it sold like ice cold lemonade on a scorching summer's day, but it left an awful bitter taste in my mouth. I believe they tried to put too much ingredients in the mix to sell it better but forgot what makes a lemonade good. Anyways... enough with the metaphors.

Marvel tries to bring in people who are fans of the comics... or at least they claim to be. In "Making the Movie: Iron Man", Jon Favreau and RDJ claims that they are fans of the Iron Man comics, and I've read somewhere that Edward Norton says the same of the Hulk. If that's true then it's good, because they already know what to do and what to expect, and as fans themselves, they'd know what other fans would want to see. In the Hulk 2003, I was looking forward to hearing Hulk say "Puny human!" or "Hulk is strongest!" or anything... but instead, he just grumbled, snarled and roared. At least in The Incredible Hulk I got a "Hulk... SMASH!" and I could've sworn I heard him say "Leave me alone" in one of the earlier scenes where he turns green for the first time.

One of the major concerns when the trailers for this movie came out were the CGIs. Having finally seen the final product I can say that it was a step up from its predecessor. The 2003 Hulk looked like Shrek on steroids whereas The Incredible Hulk had a more "human" feel to it and he wasn't towering over houses. Not to say that it was perfect, far from it actually, especially during the rain scene with Liv Tyler.

As for the action, there's plenty... although I had a hard time catching it all. I don't know if it was because we were sitting too close to the screen or the shaky camera job but I felt a minor case of vertigo during some chase scenes. The final battle with the Abomination was just amazing.

Anyhoo... it's getting late, obviously I'd recommend this movie to anyone who loves action or superhero movies. There's a good balance of Bruce Banner, Hulk and Betty Ross in the flick to keep the movie from being one-dimensional and watch out for cameos from Stan Lee, Lou Ferrigno (the guy who played Hulk in the 70's TV series) and RDJ. There's supposedly a Captain America cameo too but I didn't see him anywhere.

Posted by blackfir3 at 2:17 AM
This entry received 0 comment/s
Post a Comment
Home