My Avatar
Last Movie Seen
Links
Resources
Sunday, June 22, 2008
Not Made for Me
MADE OF HONOR
Patrick Dempsey, Michelle Monaghan

It was a funny story how I ended up watching this movie after almost an hour of begging my friend not to see it and go watch Get Smart instead.

So Gi and I were at SM City The Block last Saturday and she wanted to see "McDreamy" in Made of Honor but I wanted to see Anne Hathaway and Steve Carell. Normally, when we have a dispute on which movie to see, we do the most logical thing to settle the matter... a coin toss. The thing is, ever since Brokeback Mountain, she hasn't been very fond of Hathaway's movies. Anyway, long story short, I was able to sweet talk her to seeing Get Smart. As we were a couple of people away from the ticket booth, Chew calls me up inviting me to watch Get Smart with the barkada later that night. What perfect timing she has! Gi was a real sport though... besides, she got to see McDreamy, the barkada gets to see Steve Carell, and I got to see two movies... everybody gets what they wanted. That said... Made of Honor wasn't made for my taste.

The premise is that Michelle Monaghan's character asks her best friend, played by Patrick Dempsey, to be her maid of honor... I mean, who does that? As a joke, maybe... but for real??? Okay, okay... maybe not "for real"... it's a movie after all. Yet still, it's pretty ridiculous even after taking into consideration that it's just a movie. What's even more ridiculous is the fact that Dempsey's character, a womanizer who's big on honesty and tells it like it is, was willing to go through the whole ordeal instead of just telling her how he felt... of course then there'd be no movie.

Dempsey, who doesn't strike me as the "playa" type, didn't do a good job of making me sympathize his character's predicament, which may not be his fault because his character is a real jerk, a playboy, an idiot, and hangs with a bunch of guys who are morons. I was rooting for the other guy to get the girl.

Humor-wise, I've got to admit that certain scenes made me chuckle a bit but I got the feeling that the jokes weren't written with Dempsey and Monaghan in mind. A lot of the jokes, especially during the first-half of the movie, were really high school-ish and didn't feel suited for 30-somethings.

Not saying that this is a horrible film, it isn't. If you can get past the character flaws and crude jokes.... there is a romantic-comedy hidden somewhere here. If you liked My Best Friend's Wedding or rom-com along those lines... then this is the movie for you.

Posted by blackfir3 at 7:23 PM
This entry received 0 comment/s
Post a Comment
Home