My Avatar
Last Movie Seen
Links
Resources
Friday, July 11, 2008
Better than I Expected
MAMMA MIA!
Amanda Seyfried, Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan

I'm not that big of a fan of musicals. The last musicals I've seen were Moulin Rouge and Chicago, I'd add Sweeney Todd to that list but I feel that it's on a league of its own. To be honest, I went to see Mamma Mia! with very little expectations. In fact, I had to be tricked to see this movie, which makes sense now as to why Gigi was really insistent that she's the one to buy the tickets because I was expecting to see Journey to the Center of the Earth, which we did see too, but that's for later.

If you've seen the trailer then you'd know what this movie will be about. A girl named Sophie, who's about to get married, invites her possible fathers, all three of them, and they all sing and dance. Yes, that's it. But Mamma Mia! isn't really about that. It's about ABBA's music telling a story and not the other way around, which is why there isn't much plot and character development at all. The story is there to keep this from being a concert, or an extremely long music video.

Amanda Seyfried was hot, but Meryl Streep stole the show. She really did seem to have had a lot of fun making this movie. Too bad I couldn't say the same about Pierce Brosnan. I've read somewhere that he wasn't that confident about his singing and dancing skills and I could understand why after seeing the film. No offense to the guy but he just looks angry and constipated when singing.

I was really quite surprised how I enjoyed this movie... even more surprised at how many ABBA songs I know.

Posted by blackfir3 at 6:30 PM
This entry received 0 comment/s
Post a Comment
Home